Tuesday 29 April 2014

Shop made control knobs

To be installed: A forty year old Dearmond acoustic pickup system complete with wiring harness. 1 meg volume pot 250k tone pot I did not make a note of capacitor value.
While the pickup was sealed I'm pretty sure it's a piezo. I replaced the jack with an endpin model. Each knob required six different drill press operations, a forstner bit for the recess that covers the nut and washer, a brad point for the shaft and a plug cutter to shape the knob.
A brass insert is glued in place and threaded through the side to fit a small allen screw. This allows a small metal rod to be temporarily mounted, the while assembly is chucked in the drill press for sanding, polishing and finishing. The drill press is used again for the V and T impression which is filled with a putty pencil, polished again and installed.

Thursday 17 April 2014

Tak dot on

My customer likes the guitar but misses the fingerboard position markers. This is a job that's a bit more of a challenge with frets in. Once the layout work was done it was time to drill the holes.  To make it easier I used a drill bit  depth collar and set the depth really close to the exact thickness of the dots. After that a file did a good job of making the dot markers flush.

Tuesday 15 April 2014

2006 Warwick bass with broken truss rod

The truss rod came loose in the anchor, it was threaded and then peened like the old Gibson truss rods. Unfortunately the peening broke the thread.

The fingerboard had to be removed.  Heating the fingerboard with an old clothes iron softened the glue. One hour of slow but sure with a pallet knife,  inserted between the fingerboard and the neck, separated them.

Next the filet piece has to be removed. Hot iron, screwdriver... a little less time.... the filet came out in three pieces. It was glued together and straight on an offcut (to the left of the fingerboard in the third picture), and then used as a template for the new one.

Brazing the existing anchor on the rod was opted over making a new anchor, threading it and peening again.

Glue on the fingerboard, neck and truss rod slot was removed. The neck was reassembled, and glued back together, without any issues. I like to use surgical tubing to clamp a fingerboard. It applies a tremendous amount of pressure, evenly and is somewhat self centering. Clean up is a bit tedious. 

The truss rod works perfectly and there is no evidence of the repair work.